Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Valentine's Storytime

I'm posting a little delayed, but we had a great Valentine's week at the library! I really enjoy Valentine's Day--as a kid I always thought it was the best holiday. I even got a few sweet surprises from kids in my storytimes, so it was extra special this year and really made me smile!

Books I shared this week:

 
Fingerplays:

Fingerplay:Little Heart”
I have a little heart, (place hand over heart)
And it goes thump, thump, thump (pat chest three times)
It keeps right on beating, when I jump, jump, jump (jump three times)
I get a special feeling, when I look at you. (point to child)
It makes me want to give you a hug or two! (hug yourself)
Fingerplay: “Heart”
I put my hands together, This is how I start
I curve my fingers right around, And I can make a heart!

I had a few adorable feltboards made for Valentine's Day, and I wasn't sure how many I would be able to squeeze in. I ended up sharing "6 Little Valentine's" and "The Valentine Tree" but I wanted to share them all.  I made the envelopes from felt and then used cardstock pictures with the words for each valentine printed on the back.
Feltboard: Six Little Valentines (from http://storytimekatie.com/2012/03/05/valentines-day/)
Six little Valentines were sent to my house, The first one said, “I love you, From Mouse.”
Five little Valentines in my mailbox, The second one said, “Be mine, Love Fox.”
Four little Valentines full of love, The third one said, “You are sweet, From Dove.”
Three little Valentines just for me, The fourth one said, “Be my honey, Love Bee.”
Two little Valentine’s mailed with care, The fifth one said, “Here’s a hug, From Bear.”
The last little Valentine, from my friend Blue jay, This one said, “Happy Valentine’s Day!”
 



 I really love this poem about The Valentine Tree!(source: http://busycraftingmommy.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/valentines-day-flannel-friday/) I had another lace valentine that didn't survive the busy hands of a 3 year old :-) I will need to make another at some point! My Valentines aren't nearly as beautiful as the ones in the inspiration link, but they worked just fine!

 
 
Songs:
This week we danced to Sharon, Lois & Bram's Skinnamarinky Dinky Dink, I Love You. I had made hearts attached to straws for us to use as dancing props, and we did the actions to the song and sang along.

 
And our craft for the week, this adorable "Love Puppy Puppet" made from hearts.
The kids did a great job gluing all of the hearts on!




No comments:

Post a Comment