Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spring Storytime Planning

Well, we made it through the winter storytime session!  Phew!  It was a lot of fun but I have to admit I am beyond ready for spring to be here and for nicer weather. Our winter storytime attendance really suffered with all of the below zero temperatures and school closings. It was 57 degrees here today but wouldn't you know it, a winter storm is rolling in and they are calling for up to a foot of the white stuff tomorrow.  Fun, fun, fun :-/

We have a fairly short break in between the winter and spring storytime sessions: just 2 weeks to plan for spring.  My Monday evening Young Family storytime at 6:30 PM and my Wednesday morning Young Family storytimes at 10 AM and 11 AM are all the same, so I just need to plan one storytime per week for 8 weeks and prepare my crafts for approximately 25 children between the three storytimes.  Typically I end up needing to make more crafts, but I don't want to waste resources by preparing too many in advance so I wait until a day or two before the first week to re-evaluate my numbers based on registration.  Since our Story Room is on the smaller side, we have a limit for our Young Family story times of 15 families maximum per storytime.  Monday nights tend to only be a few familes, but my Wednesday at 10 AM is always full and then Wednesday at 11 AM is hit or miss!  Last session I switched it to a pre-school/kindergarten storytime where a 3-6 year-old attended without a caregiver, but it still didn't garner the attendance I was hoping for and some of my regular 11 AM families requested that I switch it back, so I did.  I may go back to a pre-school/Kindergarten storytime in the summer and see if it works better then. 

My themes for Spring Storytime are:

1. Houses & Homes
2. Shoes & Feet
3. Baa, Baa, Sheep
4. Hippity, Hoppity Bunnies
5. Spring Showers & Flowers
6. A Laura Numeroff Storytime
7. Let's Go on a Safari!
8. Zoom! Airplanes!

I have a lot of fun stories, songs, fingerplays, activities and crafts planned so stay tuned to Miss Barbara at the Library!  I look forward to sharing my ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment