Monday, April 21, 2014

Bunnies Storytime!

Two weeks ago we were very fortunate to have a volunteer from the Holden Arboretum come to do a storytime all about trees for the upcoming Arbor Day festivities at the arboretum, so I had an unexpected week off from storytime.  It was a lot of fun to talk, read, and sing all about trees :-)  Last week, of course, was leading up to Easter.  I didn't want to do an Easter storytime just in case I had any families that didn't celebrate (and it turns out I did not, but better safe with some things than sorry I suppose).  But, in light of Easter, I figured it would be a great time to do a bunnies storytime!  Wow, are there a LOT of great children's books about rabbits!  I joked that I could do 5 bunny storytimes and still have more books to read.  But I ended up choosing to share:



 
Action Rhyme: “Little Rabbit”
I saw a little rabbit go hop, hop, hop. I told that little rabbit to stop, stop, stop
He wiggled his ears and crinkled his nose and wiggled, wiggled, wiggled right down to his toes.
Credit: Modified from
Preschool Education Music & Songs
Felt board: Tired Bunnies  (using colored felt bunnies)
“Come my bunnies, it’s time for bed.” That’s what the mother bunny said.
“But first I’ll count you just to see if you have all come back to me.
Bunny 1, Bunny 2, Bunny 3, oh dear, Bunny 4, Bunny 5, yes, you’re all here.
You’re the sweetest things alive, my bunnies 1,2,3,4,5.”
Credit:
http://storytimewithmissmollie.blogspot.com/2011/05/storytime-rabbits.html
Fingerplay: “Here is a Bunny”
Here is a bunny with ears so funny (hold up the index and middle fingers from one hand)
and here is his hole in the ground (make hole by cupping other hand)
When a noise he hears, he picks up his ears (extend index and middle fingers)
and hops in his hole in the ground!
(hop fingers into the hole in other hand)
Credit: Early Literature

Feltboard: “There’s Something In My Garden”
There’s something in my garden, now what can it be? There’s something in my garden that I can’t really see. Hear its funny sound…RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT. A frog is what I found! RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT
(SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK, A mouse is what I found! / CAW CAW CAW, A crow is what I found! / THUMP THUMP THUMP, A rabbit is what I found! Use various felt animals from previous storytimes)
Credit:
SurLaLune Storytime

 
Song We played instruments and danced to the Bunny Hop! from the Disney Music Block Party CD. So much fun!

Fingerplay: “Little Bunny”
There was a little bunny who lived in the wood. (hold up two fingers)
He wiggled his ears as a good bunny should (wiggle on head)
He hopped by a squirrel. He hopped by a tree. (hop, hop)
He hopped by a duck. And he hopped by me. (hop, hop over fist)
He stared at the squirrel. He stared at the tree. (stare, stare)
He stared at the duck. But he made faces at me! (stare, make faces)
Credit:
Texas State Library

Craft: Paper Bag Bunny
* Stuff paper bag with 1 or 2 sheets of crumpled scrap paper
* Glue top of the bag closed and glue the ears shut
* Affix pink ears, sticker eyes and pomp om nose with glue stick. Add whiskers and mouth with a crayon

No comments:

Post a Comment