Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Laura Numeroff Storytime!

I have never attempted a storytime theme based on an author, but I really LOVE Laura Numeroff's books and decided to give it a go this session.  It was a really great storytime!  I used big books, since we have them, and only read two books this week since her books are on the longer side.  The kids had a great time and I am already planning my next author-themed storytime (Eric Carle!).

Stories I shared:



I used one feltboard this week, 10 Muffins on the Windowsill, which came from http://storytimesparks.blogspot.com/2012/09/moose-and-muffins-for-flannel-friday.html:

Flannel Board: “10 Big Muffins”
Ten big muffins on the window sill. Moose came along and ate his fill.
Now how many muffins are on the window sill?...Now no more muffins are on the window sill.







After I read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, I did my cookie storytube, 5 Little Cookies, which I changed a bit from http://missmaryliberry.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/flannel-friday-5-little-cookies/:

Feltboard/Story Tube: “5 Little Cookies”
5 little cookies with chocolate galore, mother ate one and then there were four.
4 little cookies, two and two you see, father ate one and then there were three.
3 little cookies, but before I knew, sister ate one and then there were two.
2 little cookies, yum, yum, yum, brother ate one and then there was one.
1 little cookie, here I come! I ate it up and now there are none.












We also played instruments (the kids just love playing those instruments!)

Instrument Song:  Do You Know the Muffin Man? 150 Toddler Tunes, disc 1, #44
> play with instruments: rhythm sticks, jingle bells, shakey eggs

And I used This Little Piggy on our fingers as an extension activity for If You Give a Pig a Pancake, although we didn't read the book due to time.

For our craft, I used the Ellison to cut our mice, used a circle punch and a hole punch to make some nibbled on cookies, and used small black dot stickers as chocolate chips.  This was such a cute craft!


No comments:

Post a Comment