Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Finally, a Spring Storytime!

I had initally planned on doing my spring-themed storytime way back in March.  However, the weather this year did NOT cooperate with me!  So I ended up saving it for warmer weather, and I am glad I did!  The stories this week were pretty short, so I read three books.  Stories I shared:

 
Fingerplay: During the Spring
During the Spring, it often showers [Flutter fingers down.]
Or the sun shines for many hours [Form circle in the air with arms.]
Both are good for the flowers! [Cup each hand and extend arms like flowers.]
credit:
http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/storytime/seasons/spring.html
Action Rhyme: http://familycrafts.about.com/library/misc/blseedsong1.htm
A little seed for me to sow           (Pretend to hold a tiny seed.)
A little earth to make it grow      (Stoop down and touch the ground.)
A little hole, A little pat
                 (Pretend to dig a hole; plant seed; pat earth around seed.)
A little wish, And that is that
      (Touch index fingers to head; bring arms down and fold over chest.)
A little sun, A little shower           (Make sun with hands; use fingers to create rain.)

A little while, And then --- a flower! (Pretend to sleep; cup hands around face like flower.)
 
Movement Song: Mr. Sun by Raffi, Singable Songs Collection, disc 1
 
Feltboard: Caterpillars, Cocoons, and Butterflies
http://missmaryliberry.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/flannel-friday-5-little-caterpillars5-little-butterflies/
This was really fun to make and the kids LOVED it! Lots of counting is involved, which makes it a great Common Core preschool activity for storytime.
Five little caterpillars, and not one more,
One spun a cocoon, and then there were four.
Four little caterpillars, as happy as can be,
One spun a cocoon, and then there were three.
Three little caterpillars, munching leaves through and through,
One spun a cocoon, and then there were two.
Two little caterpillars, enjoying the sun,
One spun a cocoon, and then there was one.
One little caterpillar, all alone,
He spun a cocoon, and then there were none!Five little cocoons, laying in the sun,
Out came a butterfly, and that makes one!
Four little cocoons, hanging with nothing to do,
Out came another butterfly, and that makes two!
Three little cocoons, as peaceful as can be,
Out came a butterfly, and that makes three!
Two little cocoons, and not one more,
Out came a butterfly, and that makes four!
One little cocoon, just waiting to thrive,
Out came a butterfly, and that makes five!

 






 

Song:  “Ten Little Flowers” (Tune: Ten Little Indians)
One little, two little, three little flowers. Four little, five little, six little flowers
Seven little, eight little, nine little flowers, ten little flowers in the spring.
Give them rain and lots of sunshine, Give them rain and lots of sunshine
Give them rain and lots of sunshine, ten little flowers in the spring.
Credit: Modified from http://storytimekatie.com/2011/04/18/spring/

 I also used this felt board that a librarian before me made and I love! She did a beautiful job making the daffodils!
 
Finally, for the craft, I actually ended up doing 2 crafts this week.  I had some extra kids come to my 10 AM Young Family storytime on Wednesday, so I was short on crafts for my 11 AM.  That has never happened to me before!  I hated that ill-prepared feeling, so I will defnitely be making sure to prepare extra crafts for next week and summer session.  In the short time I had, I whipped up a spare craft using the flowers from the first craft, popsicle sticks, and construction paper.  The lighting in the storyroom makes the paper look purple, but it was deep blue.  So for my first storytime, we made spring wreaths with flowers cut on the Ellison on cut-out paper plates, and then used the leftover flowers to plant "gardens" for my second storytime.  Crisis averted and both crafts were a success:-)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment