Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mom & Me at the Library: A Mother's Day Program

Mom & Me at the Library was not my program originally, but since our head librarian is out on sick leave and we didn't want to have to reschedule too many programs, I took this over for her.  I was worried that we wouldn't have a very good turnout (Saturday morning spring sports are the biggest competition against Saturday morning library programs!), but it turned out okay.  Not necessarily something I would repeat next year, but worth the effort. 

Here was the program schedule that I came up with. The program lasted an hour, with the last 15 minutes being slated for a library scavenger hunt.  The two crafts were big hits and I think having cookies and lemonade was a nice touch (I used the 10 packs of chewy chocolate chip cookies from Aldi, only $.99/pack so you can't beat that!).

Program:
11:00 - 11:05 AM:  Meet ‘n Greet while everyone arrives
11:05 - 11:20 AM:  Find out the history of Mother’s Day and listen to a special Mother’s Day story
11:20 - 11:40 AM: Crafts!  Make a traced-hand butterfly using mother and child’s hands.  Then learn how to make color-tipped tissue carnations that last forever!
11:40 AM: Snack! Enjoy cookies and lemonade with your mom.
11:45 AM: Mom & Me Scavenger hunt!  Search the  library’s 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors for purple posters featuring famous illustrated and animated moms.  Fill in the answers and return your sheet to Meeting Room A for a small prize!
 
 
Overall, the program went very well.  We had open registration for 25 children and their moms, and I had 23 children register.  Sadly, I had many people cancel the day before due to soccer and baseball schedules, and I only ended up having 25 people TOTAL (kids and their moms) attend, but it was still fun.  Everyone really loved learning how to make carnation flowers out of tissues!  The scavenger hunt really stumped an Indian family that attended, but overall it was a success.  Here are some photos I took during the program (and remember to always obtain those necessary signed photo release forms!)
 





No comments:

Post a Comment