Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Happy Birthday Storytime!

Today is, in fact, my actual birthday :-)  So, it seemed timely to do a Happy Birthday storytime this week and celebrate birthdays in general and how much fun they can be (especially when you're a little kid!).  I had a really great storytime planned this week (with a few variations for my Books at Bedtime and my Music in Motion), but for some unknown reason I had absolutely abysmal storytime attendance this week :-(  I don't know why my numbers were so low!! Last week started off pretty strong, but for some reason I went from having 12 kids at my Music in Motion storytime to only having three.  So, I was bummed, no doubt about it.  But I have to keep reminding myself that when it comes to storytime, there is only so much I can control.  We had an awesome time regardless, and I think it is a storytime worth sharing :-)

Books we read this week:
 


A Birthday for Cow is hilarious (TURNIP!! lol) but by far the favorite book of the week was The Birthday Box.  I love the hidden message there--that birthdays aren't really just about presents, but more about having fun and using your imagination with friends.  Monster Cake was just silly and gross and a hit particularly with my Preschool/Kindergarten group :-)

My favorite prop from this storytime was the Magic Envelope set that I used.  I've used the Magic Envelope once before (we made a puppy using all of the items that you might need if you got a new puppy: a leash, food, a dog house, a collar, etc.), and it was a big hit.  Then I sort of forgot about it and haven't used it since.  Part of the magic of the Magic Envelope is not over-using it as a prop so as to keep it fresh, so I won't be using it again this storytime session, even though it is so much fun!

I had few enough kids that I let them all help me.  I passed out our cake ingredients and had them add them one by one to the Magic Envelope.  Then, using my magic wand and some magic words from the audience, "Abra Cadabra, Happy birthday!" we transformed our ingredients into a birthday cake!  It was a huge hit and got lots of oohs and aahs. :-)  (If you don't know how the Magic Envelope works, you can read about it here, which is where I got the idea! http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/p/magic-envelopes.html)


Fingerplay/Action Rhyme: “A Birthday”
Today is everyone’s birthday! Let’s make us a cake (form cake with hands)
Mix and stir, stir and mix (stir), then into the oven to bake (push hands out)
Here’s our cake so nice and round (make a circle), we frost it pink and white (spread frosting)
We put five candles on it (hold up hand) to make a birthday bright! Credit:
Addison Public Library

Feltboard: “Five Candles”
Five candles on a birthday cake, five, and not one more
Help me blow one candle out, and that leaves four!
(There for all to see / three; Standing straight and true / two; Helping us have fun / one; We know our task is almost done / none) Credit:
Addison Public Library
Fingerplay: “10 Little Candles”
10 little candles on a chocolate cake. Wh! Wh! Now there are 8! (bend 2 fingers down)
8 little candles on candle sticks. Wh! Wh! Now there are 6!
6 little candles and not one more. Wh! Wh! Now there are 4!
4 little candles, pink and blue. Wh! Wh! Now there are 2!
2 little candles standing one by one. Wh! Wh! Now there are none! Make a Wish!
Adapted from http://www.perrypubliclibrary.org/webfm_send/40

And finally the craft, since no birthday storytime is complete without a cupcake!  I added a magnet to the back of mine so it can be displayed on a fridge.  The lighting in the storyroom makes this look pink and green, but it is white and green with sticky gems as "sprinkles."  It was a great craft!

All in all, this was a FANTASTIC storytime theme.  We also did the Hokey Pokey and in Music in Motion we played inflatable guitars and used shakey eggs to do the "Shaker Hop."  I had a blast and it was a great way to celebrate my birthday all week long!

No comments:

Post a Comment