Tuesday, September 2, 2014

BIG News!

So, I had plans to use some of the down time after Summer Reading finished up to go back and photograph and post all of my summer storytimes from Fizz, Boom, Read! But...our full-time Children's Librarian announced a few weeks ago that she had accepted a position at another library and was leaving.  That definitely threw a wrench in the rest of the summer!  I've been working at the library for a little over a year and a half and have just started my third (out of 13!) class for my MLIS at Kent State Univserity, so I wasn't planning on working full-time for several more years.  But, I couldn't let this gigantic opportunity go to someone else, so I decided to apply for the position.  Much to my absolutely surprise and elation, I earned the job and have been promoted to the full-time Children's Librarian!  I think I'm equal parts elated and terrified, lol.  I have so much left to learn and my kids are still quite young and the full-time schedule will mean missing out on a lot of time with them that I wasn't quite prepared to give up yet.  But, at the end of the day, this is my dream job and I'm thrilled to be doing it, even if it is a few years ahead of "schedule."  I am still working out the scheduling kinks between my home and work life, and figuring out how to manage grad school work as well.  In the meantime we are interviewing to try to find someone to take over my old part-time position before storytimes and programming start back up in less than two weeks, and doing a massive overhaul clean-out in the back workroom to get rid of all of the old things we don't use anymore and make some space for the new person.  It's been a hectic few weeks, to say the least!

My work schedule has changed pretty immensely, and the programming that I will be doing has also changed.  I'll be doing a Wednesday evening storytime called Books at Bedtime for families with children ages 18 months to 5 years old.  Thursday mornings I will be doing a 30 minute preschool/kindergarten storytime called Little Listeners for 3-5 year olds to attend without a caregiver, and then a 30 minute storytime called Music in Motion geared more towards movement activities and music within storytime, also with a craft.  In addition, I'll be taking over the N B Tween program on Tuesdays, a 45-minute program for 9-12 year olds geared towards crafts and games for the older school-aged set.  I'm probably the most excited about working with the tweens since my old position had me mostly planning programming for kids ages 8 and under.  I've got a lot of crafts and fun activities I'm keeping in mind for future sessions, but for now I'm pretty much executing the session that our former librarian planned out, since the abrupt schedule change didn't leave much time for planning and re-working the fall calendar.

This turned into a long-winded post!  At any rate, I'm extremely excited about my new full-time position and though I have a lot to learn, I know this is going to be a great fit for me.  Look forward to future storytime posts and programming ideas especially for tweens!

:-) Miss Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment