Thursday, September 18, 2014

Let's Go on a Safari!

I'm back!  It feels like it has been FOREVER since storytime, and in library time I suppose it has.  The break between summer reading and fall storytime is always a welcome respite for planning and organizing, but this summer was definitely a BIG change for me, going full-time the last few weeks.  I'm still adjusting to being at the library so much, but it's a good thing :-)
 
I started off storytime with a Safari theme this week!  My inspiration for the theme was Jan Peck's Way Far Away on a Wild Safari, which is a perfect book for storytime and was a big hit in all 3 of my storytimes this week.  For Music in Motion we read/sang If You're Happy and You Know It (Jungle Edition) and that was very fun.  I have fairly low storytime registration this session, but we also had major technical difficulties with our online registration system last week, which I think really affected attendance levels.  I'm hoping more kids sign up in a week or two!
 
This week we read (I added/subtracted one book depending on time and age of the kids):


 
Extension Activities:
Fingerplay:Monkey, Monkey In the Tree” credit: http://alplchildrens.wordpress.com/storytime-themes/hungry-hungry-hippos-jungle-and-zoo-animals/
Monkey, monkey, in a tree, (move arms at sides like a monkey)

I see you, and you see me, (point to self, then someone else)
Hang by your fingers, (crook fingers with elbows bent)
Hang by your toes, (point to toes)
But don’t fall down (clap hands together)
On your pretty little nose! (tap nose)
Movement Rhyme: “I’m a Giraffe” Credit: Perry Public Library
I’m a big tall giraffe stretching way up high (reach arms up)
A big tall giraffe, I almost reach the sky (stand on tiptoes)
I eat the leaves from the tallest tress (pretend to eat)
And when I run, I move with ease (pretend to run)
I’m a big tall giraffe stretching way up high (reach arms up)
Way…up…high! (reach on tiptoes)

Flannelboard:5 Little Lions credit: http://jeninthelibrary.com/2012/12/04/safari-toddler-storytime/
O
ne little lion, roaring at the zoo, called for another: ROAR! Then there were two.
Two little lions, underneath a tree, called for another: ROAR! ROAR! Then there were three.
Three little lions, who heard a distant roar, called for another: ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! Then there were four.
Four little lions, happy and alive, called for another: ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! Then there were five.
Five little lions, ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! Ran off to play and then there were no more.
 
Group Participation Activity:
“Safari Jar”
Decorate an oatmeal canister to look like the jungle. Pass out cards of various jungle animals to the children and sing this song: If you have a lion, a lion, a lion, if you have a lion, put him in the jungle!
If you have a crocodile, a crocodile, a crocodile, if you have a crocodile, put him in the jungle!
Etc. with other jungle/safari animals: hippo, monkey, giraffe, tiger, snake
 
Craft:
 
And no safari is complete without binoculars!  We made toilet tube binoculars complete with a safari sticker on top.

 
Overall, this was a great storytime and a lot of fun!  We also danced to #10 on The Best of the Wiggles CD, The Monkey Dance.  A great time was had by all!


No comments:

Post a Comment