Saturday, October 25, 2014

Animals at Night Storytime

There are a lot of great picture books about nocturnal animals that lend themselves well to storytime (and to a Bedtime Storytime in particular!), so I had a tough time choosing books this week!  In the end, because I did 3 flannel boards, we only ended up having time for two books, but the three that I had ready were:



To introduce the storytime theme for the week, I used the Mystery Book filled with pictures of nocturnal animals, and had the children try to guess what all of the animals had in common.  Luckily, in all of my storytimes, I had an older child who was quick to guess that they were all animals who slept during the day and stayed awake at night!


Song: Flutter, Flutter Little Bat Credit: Library Palooza
Flutter, flutter little bat, How I wonder where you’re at
Up above the midnight sky, Peeking down with black eyes
Flutter, flutter little bat How I wonder where you’re at

Fingerplay: Two Little Hoot Owls
Two little hoot owls, sitting on a hill
One named Jack and the other named Jill
Fly away Jack! Fly away Jill!
Come back, Jack! Come back, Jill!

Song: I’m a Little Firefly (I’m a Little Teapot) Credit: Preschool Education
I’m a little firefly, Look at me!
I’m as happy as I can be.
See my light flicker and shine so bright
Now watch me fly into the night!

One little bat was trying to behave.
He hung upside down from his feet in a cave.
Another bat flew in, and said, "How do you do?"
The 2nd joined the first, and then there were 2!
2 little bats were trying to behave.
They hung upside down from their feet in a cave.
To help pass the time, they sang "Do re me"
Another bat joined the song, and then there were 3.
3 little bats were trying to behave
They hung upside down from their feet in a cave
From their cave perch, they looked down at the floor,
A new bat joined the game, and then there were 4.
4 little bats were trying to behave.
They hung upside down from their feet in a cave.
One little bat zoomed inside and did a dive.

He stayed to take a rest, and with him there were 5.

Feltboard: There’s something in the nighttime (Modified from There’s something in my garden)
There’s something in the nighttime that I can’t really see.
There’s something in the nighttime, now what can it be?
Whoo, Whoo. Hear it’s funny sound? Whoo, Whoo. An Owl is what I found!
(Continue with other animals, I used an Owl, a cat, a mouse, and a skunk ‘Smell that funny smell? Sniff, sniff, A skunk! You sure can tell!’)




















Five Wise Owls
One wise owl sitting in a tree
Hooted to another, "Come sit with me."
Two wise owls sitting in a tree
Hooted to one more, "Come let's be three!"
Three wise owls sitting in a tree
Hooted to a fourth, "Come quietly."
Four wise owls sitting in a tree
Hooted to a fifth, "Join our family."
Five wise owls sang "Whooo, whooo, whooo!"
And before you knew it, away they all flew!




















For our craft this week, I used leftover Oriental Trading Company crafts from a few years ago.  Of course, in typical form, this meant that most of the pieces weren't self-adhesive any more.  But we used glue sticks and it all worked out.  I get really frustrated that the self-adhesive glue doesn't last more than maybe a year at most though!  Oh well.



















All in all, this was a great storytime theme with a lot of different songs, fingerplays, flannelboards, and stories to choose from.  The kids were very receptive to the theme as well, and gave lots of great ideas about what nocturnal animals do at night while we are sleeping!  Baby Bat's Lullaby ended up just being too boring, even as a "quiet" book to begin with, and I only read it during one storytime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment